Dimitrovgrad municipality is located in the heart of South Central region. Administratively belongs to Haskovo District. Borderes on the north to the municipalities of Chirpan and Opan (from Stara Zagora district), to the east - Municipality of Simeonovgrad from the south with the municipalities Haskovo and Mineralni Bani from the west with the municipality of Parvomai (Plovdiv region).
The Municipality of Dimitrovgrad intersect European Corridor 10 and 9. Main link with the country through these first class roads: train and bus - Plovdiv and Sofia - west Svilengrad - east, Stara Zagora, Kardzhali - respectively north and south. Settlement network in the municipality consists of two cities - Dimitrovgrad, Merichleri and 25 villages spread evenly within it`s area (as of 15.09.2010). Has 64,362 people in permanent address, of which 49,218 represent the population of the town of Dimitrovgrad.
The flat terrain varied by wooded hills and the river Maritsa in the central part of the municipality determined its functional location: the main part is occupied by farmland and central - in line Haskovo - Dimitrovgrad - Radievo, as well as the peripheral northeast - from hills.
Dimitrovgrad municipality is mostly flat appearance, uneven and rounded by low hills. About three quarters of the territory in the north, has a slight slope to the south - east - to the river Maritsa and is occupied by agricultural land. About a quarter is occupied by hills - near the village of Bryast and South East - on the north bank of the Maritsa River. Such is the landscape in the southern part of the municipality. The majority also occupied by agricultural lowland areas, with a slight slope to the north, to the Maritsa River. In the middle of this section in the hills between the villages of Krepost and Dobrich, and in the east part- the municipal boundary - over villages Chernogorovo and Voden. The lowest part is along the river Maritsa - Dimitrovgrad at altitude - 92 meters and rises in the far north - over village Stransko to 177 meters. South - the middle part - between the villages of Krepost and Dobrich hills reaching 258 meters above sea level (Lower sayrak) south of the village of Krepost - 266 meters (Beytepe) and in the eastern part - above the village Voden it is 170 - 216 m. About this altitude are hills in the southwest - over village Bodrovo.
The climate of the region is mere continental, to Mediterranean. The average annual temperature of Dimitrovgrad is higher than the national average +12.6 ° C. This helps to intensive processes of evaporation, especially during the summer months. Distribution of precipitation is uneven throughout the year.
Natural complex of diverse landscape consisting of plains and hills, creates favorable conditions for development of agriculture and animals. Relatively good water potential, the lack of threatening the ecological balance activities are the city`s wealth and prerequisite for the development of the municipality of Dimitrovgrad - its strategic resource. The main crops are grains - wheat: wheat, barley (about 50 % of the crop), maize and sunflower (20 %). About 34,000 acres are occupied by industrial crops (mainly cotton). Traditional vegetable municipality is strongly decreased, and occupies about 10,000 acres. One of the resources of the municipality - meadows and pastures, has been used effectively as a basis for the development of animal farms.
In the territory of the region there are thermal mineral springs. Such are the ones in town Merichleri which represent a valuable water resource and an operating capacity 30 l/sec and temperature of the water +35,4 ° C. Tourism
Dimitrovgrad has great potentials transit tourism, because through the city pass main road directions (highway and railway) connecting Europe and the Middle East. Besides the main tourist transit tourism potentials are Stara Planina Mountains, Petarlashka cave, Smilovskite Lakes, Erma River valley, Poganovski monastery and rural tourism, which is especially favorable unpolluted environment and the diversity of plant and animal life here.
Petarlashka cave is actually a system of caves on the southern edge of the field in the region Odorovachko valley in the region Zabardzha.
It is located 12 km north of the city; the road is 10 km asphalt and 2 kilometers of land. Odorovachko field is the largest karst area in Serbia. At the bottom of the field runs Odorovachka River. At the southern end of the field has Odorovachko underground karst forms. Among the most famous and the most important is Petarlashka cave. This is a jewel of nature, rich in cave ornaments, but unfortunately not been adequately studied and used. With a small investment can become a meeting place for fans of speleological and natural beauty.
Protected area "Propadnaloto blato" ("The fallen pool") - Golyamo Asenovo village
It is located between village of Golyamo Asenovo, Dimitrovgard district and village of Byal Izvor, Opan Municipality, Stara Zagora district.
Formed as a result of underground mining activities of mine "Miner" after the seizure of the coal seam. Near and below the riverbed Beloizvorski the ground started falling in. Later these filled with water from the river, after that they covered with reed, cane, rogolist and other aquatic plants. Over time the so formed wetlands become habitat, attracting many species from different taxonomic groups. Especially great is the value of the wetland "Propadnaloto blato" as comfortable wintering and feeding grounds for rare and endangered water birds.
Protected Area "Zlato Pole" (Gold Field) is the largest wetland natural character along the Maritsa River. Covers parts of the villages of Nova Nadejda (Haskovo Municipality) Brod, Raynovo and Zlato Pole (municipality of Dimitrovgrad). It includes a set of linked together pools of varying size, shape and depth, reed and other water plants, islands and pastures. The protected area was formed due to the construction of a dike that broke off the river from its old place. Released in the 50s section of the river in the shape of a horseshoe and has a length of about 2 km. In result of human activities in the western part of Martvitsata, namely the extraction of materials were formed, most of the water mirrors forming complex of wetlands. The eastern part has remained unchanged overgrown with reeds, cane and wicker.
Wetlands in the Thracian lowland stored invaluable wealth of flora and fauna. They are the last havens of rare plant and animal species threatened with extinction, the only way to preserve the natural habitat of many rare birds."Zlato Pole" was declared a protected area on 08.11.2001. The area is 84.79 ha.
Thracian sanctuary of the Nymphs and Aphrodite- Kasnakovo village
It includes remains of religious buildings dating back to the second century, an inn from third century, and amphitheater from the fourth century and architecturally designed three springs with pools. The first excavations were made in the 1945-1946.
The sanctuary was built in the rocks where the retaining wall is in the form of a semi-ellipse. At the entrance there is a monument that has been preserved. In the wall are three niches hollowed - catchments of small springs, arranged symmetrically in two ends and a central fountain. Local believe that symbolizes the dance of nymphs. Over the main spring are engraved the names of its builders. Water gushing from a crack in the rock and is cold and crystal clear. People believe that it is healing. During the Ottoman rule it was known as the "Giaour Bounar". In the summer of 2007, started archaeological excavations and it became clear that the ancient Thracian sanctuary was part of a Roman villa, owned by Titus Flavius and his wife Claudia Montana.
Trun trail is one of the first specialized tourist infrastructures in Bulgaria, established as a model for sustainable local development through ecotourism, part of the national network „Bulgarian eco trails", initiated by the Bulgarian Association for Rural and Ecological Tourism. Trun trail building started in 1996 (Ist stage) developed into a large-scale municipal infrastructure projects by the Trun Municipality and BASET, released in 2002 (II stage) with funding from the Phare program. Currently Trun trail covers most attractive parts of the gorges of the rivers Erma and Dobrich, other natural beauties and a system of circular routes with varying lengths and levels of difficulty, offering the opportunity to monitor the remarkable landscape diversity in the low altitude zone (600 - 1000 m), including unique karst erosion relief forms (gorges , rock passages, waterfalls, springs, pools, etc.) and rich biodiversity (old trees, rare, endangered and protected species of the Red Book of Bulgaria, the European list of rare species, endangered and endemic plants and the List of globally threatened species of plants and animals). Its total length is 13.2 km.
Technical infrastructure includes: 3 parking lots, marked forest trails and dirt roads, wooden bridges- 7, 12 staircases, railings and many stairs for access to the most attractive parts of both canyons, 5 boards, 5 visual fields, 7 places for rest and 3 fountains. History
Dimitrovgrad is formed on the basis of three settlements - Rakovsky Mariyno Tchernokonevo and each one of them have their own interesting history. Archaeological evidence suggests that their territories were inhabited for thousands of years.
The oldest objects result of human activity in Dimitrovgrad were found in the cave "Diado Paniovata Dupka" in the area Gabera. Specialists date these artifacts as from the Paleolithic era (40 thousand years BC).
Climatic conditions and fertile earth near the rivers Maritsa and Merichlerska have attracted people in antiquity. Evidenced found many ceramic materials and artifacts from the land of Dimitrovgrad.
Probably in the late antiquity was built fortress on the Kaleto hill or Durham that represents Blesna or Blisimos. Within the Bulgarian Khanate it was included in the victorious battles of Khan Krum (802-814) against the Byzantine Empire. Real boom Blesna lived during Byzantine rule XI-XII century, when turned into a great spiritual and military center.
Medieval chroniclers associate the name of the city with Third Crusade led by the German Emperor Fridrih I Barbarossa in 1189 and the victorious march of King Kaloyan in 1202 in Thrace. The last time the name of Blesna is mentioned in the sources, was because of the brother of the captured by the Bulgarians Emperor Baldwin of Flanders - Henry. He invaded Thrace in 1206 and conquered the fortress, which had previously been abandoned by its inhabitants and defenders. What was the exact fate of the fortification then - is unknown. There is archeological evidence that life around it continued thereafter.
What is striking in Dimitrovgrad is not only significant buildup here on heavy industrial enterprises, but also its specific architecture and particular attention is paid to the landscaping. Build a comprehensive green area, including three parks, green belts along the Maritsa River, numerous neighborhood parks, significant street and avenue planting; make the city one of the greenest town in Bulgaria.
Dimitrovgrad has rich cultural life. In the early 50 - ies of XX century were created the museum, the brass band, theater and a library. In 1957 began its work the first cinema-fans club in Bulgaria and on May 24, 1962 opened the country's first amateur observatory and planetarium.
Dimitrovgrad maintains active contacts with cultural cities worldwide. In 1957, Mayor Peter Yordanov participated in the Constituent Congress of the World Federation of Brother Cities and became one of its founders. Today, the brother towns of Dimitrovgrad are: Nowa Huta - Poland, Grosseto - Italy, Eisenhüttenstadt - Germany, Dimitrovgrad - Russia, Blida - Algeria, Darkhan - Mongolia, Jiao - Dziyan - China, Municipality Kalamaria -Thessaloniki - Greece, Kazintsbartsika - Hungary.