Information about Belogradchik municipalityBelogradchik Properties
Belogradchik is located in the northwestern part of the country , in the northern and northeastern slopes of the Balkan Mountains, in the southwestern foothills of Belogradchik garland, 545 m above sea level. Belogradchik is located about 170 km from Sofia, 55 km Vidin and 70 km from Montana. Urban and attractive, Belogradchik is one of the most attractive tourist sites in Bulgaria. Natural resources and rich historical heritage defined the city as one of the most interesting and desirable tourist attractions. Near the municipality of Belogradchik is the biosphere reserve "Chuprene" which occupies an area of 1439.2 hectares on the northern slopes of Stara Planina with a buffer zone of 542.3 hectares, is included in the list of biosphere reserves by UNESCO. Reserve was created for forest conservation Picea excelsa, the only and largest pine forest in Stara Planina, as well as to be a haven for remarkable fauna. More than 90 % of the territory is covered with forests. This is the habitat of a number of protected species of flora and fauna.
World famous Belogradchik is associated with unique rock phenomenon "Belogradchik rocks" which has aesthetic potential and astounding biodiversity. Tourists visited the area remain forever impressed by this unique natural oasis that distinguishes from the urbanized environment.
Tourist Information Centre - Belogradchik
Provision of information to visitors and guests to the tourist sites and accommodation and meals in the municipality. Making reservations accommodation and meals. Providing guide services. Distribution of promotional materials. Implementation of tourism programs.
It is cultural monument of national importance and one of the best preserved fortresses in the country. It was built in the third century AD by the Romans to guard strategic roads crossing the area. In late antiquity it was part of the defense system of the Roman and later the Byzantine Empire. The fortress was finally forged from Bulgaria and is one of the last Bulgarian strongholds captured by the Turks. It was used by them as a garrison and was converted for firearm weapons in the period 1805 - 1837. The castle consists of three fortified courtyards and a war site. Architectural achievements in the construction of the first defense sector and massive gateways are the main arguments in the determination of their status - as national monuments.
The Magura Cave
The cave is located in northwestern Bulgaria, 17 km from the town of Belogradchik. Cut into the limestone Rabishka mound (461 meters above sea level). One of the biggest caves in the country overall length of the existing galleries around 2,500 m consists of one main gallery and three side branches.
The cave has rich shapes and sizes formations - stalactites, stalagmites, sinter pockets, cave pearls, "cave milk". In addition to their beauty and impressive size, the cave impresses with the "Big Stalactone" - height over 20 meters and a base diameter of 4 meters, and the "Fallen Pine" is the largest stalagmite in the studied Bulgarian caves longer than 11 meters diameter at the base and 6 m.
According to geological studies, the formation of Magura started about 15 million years ago and in fact in one of the halls were discovered prehistoric drawings, carved into the rock and decorated with bat guano. The figures represent dancing women, dancing and hunting men, disguised men, large variety of animals, stars, tools, and plants. The drawings date from different eras - Epupaleolith , Eneolith, the beginning of the Bronze Age. The Solar calendar from the Late Eneolithic and Early Bronze Age and other artifacts have quite accurate records. Through the pictures they stored information about events and feasts along with their symbols and specific characters.
Located east of Belogradchik Fortress. There are preserved parts of the firewall. Next to the ruins of the fort were built metal staircase with a safety railing. The site of the fort is not secure. There are no signs directing tourists to the site. No informative panel illustrating the role and functions of the fort. The access is by cars and there is a small parking lot. Next to it there is a panoramic site build.
Route № 1
"Belogradchik rocks" - Belogradchik
From Tourist information center to TV tower
Visiting historical museum
Tour of the fortress "Kale"
fortress " Kale" - Subashin spring
Subashin spring- Nature - Science Museum
Visiting Nature Science Museum
Total time 4 hours
Route is easy and goes along shaped paths. It is observed the central massive of the rocks.
Route № 2
From Tourist information center to the resting place
Haydushko well - Picnic "Planinitsa"
Picnic "Planinitsa" - hut "Planinitsa"
Hut" Planinitsa - Area "Chukata"
Area "Chukata" - Belogradchik
Total time - 4 hours
special requirements - Guide and tourist equipment
Route is medium heavy. Passes along shaped paths. It`s observed the East Region of the rocks. At Picnic "Planinitsa" there is a magnificent panoramic view of almost the whole rock complex.
Route № 3
Tourist information center - fortress " Kaleto"
Fortress "Kaleto" - Area "RAZKRASYE"
Area "RAZKRASYE" - rocks group "Zbegovete"
Rocks group "Zbegovete" - Priest's house
Priest's house - fortress "Kale" through "Krupets" locality.
Total time visits and Transition - 6 hours
Special requirements - Guide and tourist equipment
Route is medium heavy. Mostly shaped paths. It`s observed the West rocks. Area "Zbegove" is part of an old set of security and observation points, some of the equipments can still be found there. From the observation tower "Zbegove" is a wonderful view of the Belogradchik Rocks and Mount Vedernik.
Route № 4
Tourist information center - fortress "Kale"
Fortress "Kale" - Area "RAZKRASYE"
Area "RAZKRASYE" - Picnic "Ivanov stone"
Picnic " Ivanov stone" - Area "Chairs "
Area "Chairs" - Peak "VEDERNIK"
Peak "VEDERNIK" - Area "Zaren"
Area "Zaren" - the village Praujda
Total time visits and Transition - 8 hours
Special requirements - Guide and tourist equipment
The route is relatively heavy. Passes along shaped paths.
Cave "Lepenitsa" is located about 4 km southeast of the town of Belogradchik in the "Markashnitsa". It was formed in the reddish sandstone - conglomerates ("bunzenshtaynov" conglomerate - in geology this is a stone or rock of various minerals connected mechanically) is part of the natural phenomenon "Belogradchik rocks". The cave is horizontal and at the entry it is two-storey. The entrance is oriented to the east. The altitude is about 500 meters. This is the only cave in these conglomerates and probably around the age of 230 million years.
The favorable location, the relative height of local erosion basis (about 30 m), the presence of sedimentation in the cave provoke a number of Bulgarian scientists to take archaeological research. Initial studies of the cave began in 1933 by the famous Bulgarian history specialist Vassil Mihov by the Association of Science, which is exploring other caves in the region. Found fragments of pottery and more tools. The cave is mentioned in the "Geographical Dictionary of Bulgaria" from 1939 and 1958 written by G. Chankov. Later in 1962 - 1964 Ivan Balkan (from the Historical Museum Belogradchik) conducts excavations and complements studies of V. Mihov. The interest in the cave does not end also during 1988 - 1990, and studies continue.
The archaeological finds is generally dated from 5000-4000 BC. And Bronze Age (2800-1200 BC). During the fieldwork we could not find flint finds. No less interesting are the paleontological finds. The following tests of bone remains of the big fauna indicates that they belong to seven species of mammals, five of which are domestic. The most numerous are the remains of sheep and goats (Ovicaprinae), domestic cattle (Bos taurus). Especially interesting are the plant remains in ancient settlements. In the cave were discovered pieces of plaster with traces of stems used in the mud for building houses.
Today the town of Belogradchik is known by several names: Brestovo Belgrade, Belgradin. The first settlement occurred in the early Middle Ages right up to the rocks and near The fortress - Citadel. Evidences for this are the numerous artifacts found during excavation activities. Particularly interesting are coins from the time of Ivan - Alexander and his son Michael.
In XIV century when the Vidin kingdom of Tsar Ivan Sratsimir was formed, Belogradchik became an administrative and cultural center.
After the fall of the Vidin Kingdom under Turkish domination (1396) Belogradchik continues as military- center. On the one hand this event adversely affects local residents. Although the assimilation policies of the site (after 1687) the Christian population remained dominant in the region. At this time we can identify three quarters. In the Christian quarter in 1821 the chapel "St. George" was build and they made a small school. The population is primarily engaged in handicrafts, farming.
By the middle of the XIX century was accumulated considerable experience in revolutionary battles against the Ottomans. At this point in May-June 1850 was the great rebellion in northwestern Bulgaria. Regardless of the misconceptions of some historians, this revolt is centered Belogradchik and remained in history as the Belogradchik uprising.
Belogradchik people participate in other popular uprisings - Dimitraki Buna (1856g) April Uprising (1876) and in the Russian - Turkish war (1877- 1878), Serbian - Bulgarian War (1885g), Balkan Wars (1912 - 1913), First World War (1914 - 1918), Second World War (1939 - 1945).